Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Who killed MJ

Liz Taylor tweeted - I cannot be part of the public whoopla. And I cannot guarantee that I would be coherent to say a word. I just don't believe that Michael would want me to share my grief with millions of others...

Now that's a true friend.

Let's talk about family now. Brothers all in blue sequined gloves (on one hand only), reportedly wearing Armani. Dressed for a memorial fit for the king. So what was MJ wearing? No one bothered thrusting a mike in his face? Who designed Janet's clutch?

And what was the parliamentarian rep trying to get to by saying, she speaks on behalf of all faiths and then quotes from the Bible. At another point, did she insinuate that MJ was not guilty of all the crimes unless proven...so much for being in awe.

Germaine J very stoically requests the world to allow the family to grieve in solitude and then not only goes to a public memorial but also ruins the lovely 'Smile' penned by Charlie Chaplin.

And we were promised a star studded performance for the 'king'. Reminds me of when Christ was being crucified and the crowd calling him an imposter bec. he proclaimed himself a king. At least he was. Seeing the hastily put together memorial, one cringed at the media hyped 'king'.

Mariah Carey is finally in the same league as our very own Lata didi. John Mayer forgets to sing and keeps playing the guitar instead, and other such unmentionable disasters. From all the amazing black choirs, one tuneless excuse was given the honour to open the event.

And then for the finale where everyone who was anyone got on stage and allowed four back up vocalists to sing the entire We Are The World. Not even Lionel Richie lip synced. Grand Finale indeed.

But then the highlight. The family gets together. Marlon J, whom no one knows or intends to, talks endlessly about his brother starting with a very well rehearsed 'missing you so much' yelp. Then MJ's daughter says he was the best dad and breaks down, but not before Janet encourages her saying 'speak up baby speak up'. So much for taking TRP ratings through the roof for CNN.

The King is dead, and hopefully turning cartwheels in his well appointed, super expensive grave/tomb.

4 comments:

  1. Just when i thought you were like everyone else i knew in bombay, you triumph, you shine, you return to being my icon, my idol, my pedestal of elitist snobbery.
    Fantastic piece. Thank god for small grammatical mercies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the flow but somehow it is unsettling. I like how you've written which i have always maintained but my point of view if a bit different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flattery, my dearies, will get you everywhere...and let's hear everyones points of view. Tx Splitter, Ecc...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I expected something more poignant, more classy for MJ and boy!! was I disappointed...no one from the family looked sad..his son was chewing gum throughout and I hated the way his daughter blubbered on stage with Janet prompting her in the back ground...poor MJ..he certainly must have been disappointed too...

    ReplyDelete